About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Asam Pedas Ikan Pari (Stingray in Spicy Tangy Gravy)


Okayyyyy Lin... Finally I've stopped procrastinating!! Here's the recipe and step-by-step instructions. As mentioned I only like thick asam pedas.. Not the runny ones sold at the hawker :-)

Blend the following ingredients into a fine paste:-

I large onion or 2 medium size ones
4 cloves garlic 
1 inch of fresh turmeric 
A handful of dried chilli, soaked
2 teaspoon belacan

Fry the paste in oil until fragrant and "crispy"
I used 4 large pieces of Ikan pari or you can cut into smaller pieces. Wash the Ikan pari in tamarind (asam) water to reduce the fishy smell. 
Once the spice paste is really 'crispy', add about 2 cups of water. Mix well.
Add 1 tablespoon of ground black pepper to the gravy. 

Add in 2 lime leaves & 1 bruised lemongrass 
Mix about 1-2 tablespoon of tamarind (asam) with water. Start with one tablespoon first as the strength of tamarind varies brand to brand. The tamarind here in Indonesia is dark in colour but not as tangy so I have to put more. Taste as you go. Season the gravy with approx 2-3 teaspoon salt, 2-3 tablespoons sugar. 
Prepare your veggies. I used okra & daun kesum here but you can always use ginger torch, eggplants or even pineapples.

Add the fish and veggies and let it simmer for another 5 mins and flip the fish to cook the other side. Simmer again for 5 more minutes. At this point the gravy would be reduced so add another cup of water if it's too thick. Serve with hot rice, fried salted fish, salted egg and sambal belachan. The kids enjoy this with a side dish of sunny side up egg with lashings of kicap! 

No comments:

Pin It