About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Monday, September 15, 2014

Pandan Chicken (Gai Haw Bai Toey)

Every single time we head to a Thai restaurant, the boys never fail to order this and we always ended up ordering at least 2 plates because they serve 3 tiny pandan chicken per serving! 

So I decided to make a whole batch at a fraction of the cost!

Firstly, blitz the following ingredients in a blender:-

2 stalks of coriander root (3 inches from the base)
2 cloves garlic
1 small lemongrass


1/2 an onion, chopped
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons palm sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fish sauce 
1 teaspoon worchestershire sauce
50ml thick coconut cream

Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl. Taste it to make sure that it has enough seasonings.
Add in bite size pieces chicken meat. I like to use a mixture of thigh and breast.
Marinate the chicken for at least an hour in the fridge. It's more yummy overnight! 
Prepare the pandan leaves. 1 strip of pandan leaf twist into a knot as above.

Fill it with 2 or 3 chunks of chicken piece depending on the size. And closed up the chicken with the longer pandan flap. 
Deep fry the Pandan chicken on both sides. I like to fry it a little longer until the pandan is crisp because I like the caramelised taste of seasonings on the chicken. 

You can serve it on it's own or with dipping sauce made from dark soya sauce, sugar & chili sauce topped with sesame seeds. 

No comments:

Pin It