About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Thursday, September 04, 2014

Nasi Lemak "Hulk"



The boys love Nasi Lemak and most times I make it normal but today I had a request for Hulk Nasi Lemak instead .. I also had a request for recipes for non-santan Nasi Lemak. The base for rice is as follows:-

1 medium size onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 inch ginger, sliced

2 cups rice, washed and drained 

Sautee the above ingredients in 1/3 cup oil until softened. Mix the rice and the sautéed ingredients in a rice cooker pot. Coat the rice grains with the oil from the ingredients. This helps to form a coating so that your rice does not lump up together.

2 knots of pandan leaves
1 teaspoon pandan paste 
Additional green colouring (if required)
2 cups coconut milk or santan
3/4 cup water
Salt 

Add all of the above ingredients into the pot. Taste the water. It should be salty.

For normal nasi lemak, omit out the paste and green colourings.

Alternatively, if you can't find santan, replace the santan with full cream milk. 

Serve it with fried chicken, Ikan bilis, cucumber slices, fried fish.. Basically anything you fancy.

Or you can wrap it in banana leaves with chicken rice paper for a more authentic feel. 

Sambal Tumis 

2 large onions
A handful of dried chillis, soaked
3 cloves of garlic
A thumb size belachan
A bit of water to blend

A walnut size of asam or tamarind, mixed with water to get the juice 
1.5 tsp of salt (or to taste)
2 tablespoons sugar

Just blend the above items in a blender until smooth. Sauté in about 1 cup of oil and make sure the ingredients are really fragrant and "crispy". Add your salt, sugar and tamarind water. Add a bit more water if preferred but for nasi lemak, a thick sambal is preferred. 

No comments:

Pin It