About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

You Tiao (Chinese Crullers)


These elusive crullers have been evading me ... I don't want to buy the ones by the roadside (additional ingredients like dust & carbon monoxide) here in Jakarta and my tummy isn't strong enough for all that.

My ex pastry chef won't share his recipe with us either .. He was always doing this discreetly! So today I am trying the soda / baking powder version instead of the yeast one to see how it goes .. Verdict .. A very happy me!

250g flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder mixed with 1.5 tablespoon water 
1 teaspoon  bicarbonate soda mixed with  1.5 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon salt
125ml water

Place flour in a bowl with salt and make a hole in the middle. Pour the soda mixture & baking powder mixture and then add the water in. 

Knead lightly and cover to proof for 20 minutes. The dough will not be smooth. Cover with cling wrap.

After 20 minutes, knead again and proof for another 20 minutes. 
And knead and proof again for another 20 min. So proof it 3 times for 20
Mins each. 
Roll the dough about 1cm thick and cover with damn cloth for 4 hours!
Slice into 2cm strips. Use a bamboo skewer dip in water and press down the middles of each strip. Top with another strip. Press down again with the bamboo skewer. 

Heat oil in a wok and pull the dough slightly before sliding the dough in. Fry until golden. Make sure to "open up" the joint sides so that the oil can get through to cook and "puff" the dough. 

No comments:

Pin It