About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Sunday, December 01, 2013

Roti Boyan with Sambal Tumis


I miss these!! Obviously I had no choice but to make it from scratch here in Jakarta!

Dough

In a bowl, just add the following ingredients and knead until smooth. Cover and leave the dough to rest while you make the filling. 

200g flour
2 tablespoon oil
2 1/2 tablespoon ghee 
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 tsp salt

Filling

1/2 onion, roughly chopped 
2 garlic, chopped 
4 large potatoes, boiled and chopped
2 stalks parsley or spring onions, chopped
1/4 cup fried shallot (bawang goreng)
1 tsp Chicken stock powder
A dash of pepper
Salt to taste
2 eggs 
Sauté the onions and garlic in oil until softened. Add the chopped potatoes, parsley or spring onions and fried shallot.

 
Season with chicken stock powder, salt & pepper and crack the 2 eggs on the side. Stir the egg into the potatoes once the egg is slightly cooked. Cool before filling.

There's many ways of assembling the roti. You can roll the dough, cut into 2 circles, fill and crimp the sides. Or you can roll into small squares, fill and fold into squares. Or you can just fill it just like an epok-epok (which I did with the rest of my dough) :-) and freeze it for you to fry on another day 

Nothing beats roti boyan with sambal Tumis. Of course you can have it with chilli sauce but less oommpphh! Make your own sambal Tumis which you can then later use for prawn sambal, sambal ikan bilis and lots more!

Sambal Tumis 

2 large onions
A handful of dried chillis, soaked
3 cloves of garlic
A thumb size belachan
A bit of water to blend

A walnut size of asam or tamarind, mixed with water to get the juice 
1.5 tsp of salt (or to taste)
2 tablespoons sugar

Just blend the above items in a blender until smooth. Sauté in about 1 cup of oil and make sure the ingredients are really fragrant and "crispy". Add your salt, sugar and tamarind water. Add a bit more water if preferred but for the roti boyan accompaniment, a thick sambal is preferred. 

No comments:

Pin It