About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Monday, December 02, 2013

Ayam Masak Merah


Every family have their own Ayam Masak Merah version. This is mine.. It's a favourite with kids too because its a great way to ease them into eating spicy food without the tears and sweat! 😝😝

A handful of dried chilli, soaked (more if you don't have kids and like it spicy)
2 large onions
4 cloves garlic
3cm ginger
1 lemongrass
2cm belachan
1/3 cup ghee
Oil
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
2 cardamom

Blend the following and sauté with oil and ghee until fragrant. Add the spices.

2 chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato ketchup 
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup water
2 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon salt (to taste)

1 carrot cut, lengthwise and blanched
2 potatoes, wedges and fried 
1/4 cup processed peas

1kg chicken pieces or wings, seasoned with a bit of turmeric & salt and fry lightly

Add the chopped tomatoes and then the tomato paste and tomato ketchup. Add water and season your gravy with sugar and salt. 

Add the semi fried chicken and mix the gravy throughly.
I like these Ayam brand processed peas. Really tender!
Add the fried potato wedges, peas and carrots. Once all are throughly cooked, serve with nasi minyak & acar buah! Boommzz!

No comments:

Pin It