About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Acar Timun Rempah



I always make raita as an accompaniment to my pilaf or briyani but today I decided to go for acar timun... (Missing Malay weddings badly) :-(

3 small cucumber or 2 big ones, thickly julienned
1 carrot, thick julienned
A handful of small shallots

You need to soak the julienned cucumber and carrots with about a tablespoon of salt and 1 teaspoon sugar to "suck out" the moisture from the veggies. So leave that alone for about 15 minutes and drain the liquid 
Then blend the spices for the base.

4 shallots
1 garlic
1 tablespoon dried shrimp (udang kering)
5 stalks of dried chilli, soaked

Sauté in oil and then add the rest of ingredient and  :-

1 tablespoon tomato purée
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon mustard seeds (biji sawi)-pop it in a bit of oil)
1 cinnamon stick
3 cloves 
1 star anise
2 tablespoon kerisik (fried coconut paste)
2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar (more if you like it acidic)
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)

Once the paste is throughly mixed, add your veggies and cook it lightly so that its not mushy nor too raw.

No comments:

Pin It