About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Sunday, February 08, 2015

Ondeh-Ondeh Cake (Gula Melaka Cake)


Pandan Sponge

110g butter
1 cup castor sugar
2 eggs 

Cream the butter & sugar but it will not get creamy because of the amount of sugar. Pour 1 egg at a time and continue whisking until it gets creamy.

1/2 cup coconut cream (I use Kara)
1/4 water
1 tablespoon pandan extract (or more depending on the colour of your paste)
1/4 tsp salt

In a measuring jug, mix the liquid items and add to the butter mixture alternating with the dry ingredients and whisk until well mixed.

11/2 cup flour (sifted)
1/2 tsp baking powder

Line 2 round 7 inches cake tins with grease proof paper. Pour the batter evenly and bake for 25 min on 180 degrees or until the sponge comes out clean from a skewer. Cool the sponge completely or what I did was bake the sponge 1 day before. Slice each sponge in half so that you get 4 layers of cake.

Gula Melaka Syrup

4 round blocks of Gula Melaka (chopped)
1/2 cup water

Boil the gula Melaka with water until completely dissolved and thickened. Set aside to cool.

Cream Cheese Frosting

250g cream cheese
200ml - 250 ml of Gula Melaka syrup 

Whisk the cream cheese until smooth and drizzle in the syrup bit by bit until you get the sweetness that you prefer. Set aside some syrup to drizzle over your sponge.

Toasted Coconut 

150g flaked coconut 
(I used Red Mill)

Toast in a pan over low heat until golden and cool.

And now once you have all the ingredients ready, it's time to assemble the cake.


Divide the frosting in 4 parts for all 4 layers. Place 1 piece of sponge on a plate, drizzle with Gula Melaka and spread 1 portion of frosting. Top with toasted coconuts.


Do all that on all 4 layers. I chose not to frost the side for a more rustic look. Keep refrigerated for at least an hour to set the frosting.

Happy trying!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

11/2 cups of flour or 1/2 cups of flour?

Unknown said...

Looks awesome
Can't wait to try
Thanks for sharing

Pin It