About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Sunday, February 15, 2015

30 Minute Microwave Cake

 Told myself I'll try this recipe after reading Tastemade's post from Broma Bakery on a 30 minute cake .. And after reading further I realised its a microwave cake! Haven't made a microwave cake since I was maybe 15!

http://bromabakery.com/2015/02/30-minute-chocolate-cake-for-two.html

The link is here but for those lazy to click the link, it's basically 2 step -mix the wet into the dry ingredients and stir. Pour into well greased mugs or in my case I used round flat bowl. Microwave each layer for about 1 minute or until all the batter turns into cake (yes!! I stood in front of the microwave looking at the cake for 3 minutes!)

For the cake
  • ½ cup sugar (i reduced the sugar slightly because I don't like extremely sweet cakes)
  • 7 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons water

For the frosting
  • 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • dark chocolate shavings (optional)

  1. In a small bowl, mix together all dry cake ingredients with a fork. Add in wet ingredients, stirring until combined. Heavily grease three large mugs* and evenly distribute batter into mugs (~1/2 cup of batter each) or roughly around 100g of batter.
  2. Microwave each mug or bowl by itself for 1 minute on high. Remove from microwave and shake slightly to loosen cake from mug. Flip mug over onto parchment paper-lined plate or board. The cake should drop right out. Repeat with remaining mugs, then place into freezer for 5 minutes, or until the cakes cool to room temperature.
  3. While the cakes are cooling, make the frosting. Combine all ingredients in a standing mixer and beat on high until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Remove cakes from freezer and frost the top of each layer before stacking. If using, shave dark chocolate over the top of the cake using a sharp knife.

I didn't put the cakes in the freezer but just let it cool in room temperature ..
Make the frosting 
Divide the frosting into 3 parts for 3 layers and top it with shaved chocolate .. Chill for an hour for the frosting to set nicely (or not and just eat it right away 😜)

No comments:

Pin It