About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Ayam Bumbu Bali


Yes that's a full plate there but it's just the accompaniment to the main dish which is Ayam Bumbu Bali. Tried a few places  and read up on various recipes but I loved the Ayam Ibu Oki that I had in Bali... That was the absolute bomb because I can taste the coriander and it's not just a balado chicken.
If anyone is heading to Nusa Dua anytime soon? Think of me when you're digging into this. It was the perfect birthday lunch for me! The complete "Nasi Ayam" here comprises of Ayam Bumbu Bali Pedas, Ayam goreng bali & Ayam suwir, urap, boiled egg & sate lilit. 

Today I made just the ayam pedas and filled up the plate with whatever I had in the fridge ! 

All you need is a mortar & pestle or a blender in my case ..

5 shallots or half a large onion 
2 cloves garlic 
1 inch galangal 
1 inch ginger 
1cm fresh tumeric
1 small kencur or aromatic ginger
A thumb size belacan or shrimp paste 
6 fat stalks of red chilli 
4 cili padi or cabe rawit
1 teaspoon coriander seeds

Blend the above ingredients dry with no water to make a rough paste. You don't want an extremely smooth paste for this.

1 bay leaf
3 kaffir lime leaves

Sautee the paste in oil and once everything is fragrant, tear in bay leaf & kaffir lime leaves.

1 tablespoon tomato ketchup 
1 tablespoon kicap manis
1 tablespoon Gula jawa or Gula Melaka
1 teaspoon Chicken flavourings like Royco, Knorr or Maggi
Salt to taste 

1/2 chicken, portioned
1/2 -1 cup water

Add all of the above and finally toss in your chicken, coat it with the spices, add 1/2 cup water and cover your wok. Simmer for 10 -15 minutes until your chicken is cooked. Continue cooking with lid off for another 5 minutes or so to thicken the gravy. 
Add more water if necessary.. I like my gravy not too thick like ayam merah but not too watery like Assam pedas.. Somewhere in between 😬

This recipe is for about half a chicken or I used 6 wings & 6 drummets yesterday. I served my Nasi Ayam Bali with a side of boiled eggs, taucho sauteed eggplants, Sambal mermaid fish, salted fish & Singapore satay ..




No comments:

Pin It