About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Jalebis (deep fried squiggly fritters)





Jalebis, Jalebis, Zulabia, Zalabiya is an Indian / Middle Eastern dessert or snack made from Gram flour and soaked lightly in saffron infused syrup.

Firstly, you need a squirt bottle to make squiggles of batter.




Make the sugar syrup.

160g sugar
125ml water
A few saffron threads

Simmer the sugar & water for 5 minutes until the mixture becomes thicker. Add the saffron or alternatively a drop of rose water or rose Essence. Set aside




For the batter you need gram flour or lentil flour. You can buy ready packaged gram flour but I just grind chana dhal into a fine powder.

1/4 cup gram flour
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cups water
1/8 tsp baking soda
A pinch of baking powder
1/8 tsp tumeric powder
A few drops of yellow food colouring

Mix all the ingredients and whisk for a min so aerate the batter. Pour into the squirt bottle and deep fry around 2 inches of batter in spiral design. Or you can just make squiggles.





I used Ghee to deep fry the batter for an authentic taste but Ghee is really expensive so I fry in small batches. Or you can just use vegetable cooking oil.

The batter makes about 2 dozen Jalebis. Fry until golden brown, place on kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil and dip into the sugar syrup. I usually dip and remove so that the Jalebis don't get too cloyingly sweet.




No comments:

Pin It