About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Friday, March 17, 2017

Qatayef ( Arabic Pancakes)





Qatayef or Atayef is an Arabic pancake filled with cheese and nuts. Usually served during ramadhan. The authentic recipe calls for Akkawi cheese which is non existent here so I used Belcube cheese (that was in my fridge this morning) :-)

1/2 tsp instant yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water

Mix the above ingredients set aside until frothy for 5 min. Then add the flour and the rest of the ingredients, mix well, cover and let it rise for 30 min.

1 cup All purpose flour
1/4 cup sugi (semolina)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Pour batter onto ungreased nonstick pan just like how you would make a pancake.




So not cook the other side of the pancake. Remove from pan once the TOP part is dry with no wet mixture




For the filling I used Belcube cheese, sugar and cashew nibs. You can always use any other nuts , cream cheese, feta or even ricotta.




Pinch the edges.




Deep fry until golden. Pour sugar syrup on both sides.

Orange Blossom Syrup

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp orange blossom water

Simmer sugar and water until thickened and all sugar is melted.
Add orange blossom water. Alternatively u can use rose water




No comments:

Pin It