About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Kway Teow Siram / Beef Horfun


Wanted something light for dinner and I've been craving for kway teow for ages!!! Ive had yellow mee, pasta, bee hoon but not kway teow these last 2 months! 

I find the only way to get soft beef is to use a meat pounder! So I sliced the beef and pounded it before marinating it..
So I took about 200g of beef sirloin, sliced it and pounded the the beef slices before marinating it with,

1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 tsp sugar 
A pinch of salt
A dash of pepper
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp oil

What you do first is rinse your kway teow with hot water first to get rid of the manufacturer's oil and grime.. 
This was 400g of kway teow, perfect for the 4 of us. After rinsing, add 2 tablespoon of sweet soya sauce to coat the kway teow. Heat your wok with 2 tablespoons oil and quickly stir fry the kway teow over high heat. Divide into 4 plates.

Half a carrot, julienned
A handful of bok choy or chye sim, cut and washed
A handful spring onions cut into 2 inch lengths 

With the same wok, stir fry your marinated beef with 2 tablespoons oil, thrown in the carrots, bok choy and spring onion quickly and divide onto the 4 plates of kway teow.

Gravy

1 inch ginger, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon light soya sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 cube chicken stock or 1 tablespoon chicken stock granules
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 liter of water 
2 tablespoons cornstarch mix with water
1 egg, whisked
Salt to taste 

Sauté the ginger and garlic in some oil, once it sizzles, add your seasonings and water. Let it boil and stir in your egg. Do a taste test and add your salt accordingly. Add your cornstarch lastly to thicken the sauce. Pour over the noodles and beef. Garnish with more spring onions and fried shallot. Serve with cut chili with soya sauce.

No comments:

Pin It