About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Fried Bee Hoon aka Mee Picnic aka Mee Birthday


Call it Mee Picnic or Mee Birthday but this simple fried bee hoon is a favourite in every Singaporean's home. Every family have their version... This is mine... Really simple .. And you can eat it over and over! 

Firstly, soak a packet of vermicelli noodles or bee hoon. I like to soak mine in cold water first and once the noodles have loosened, add warm water to it.

Blend 1 onion and 4 cloves garlic.
Sauté in oil until fragrant. Add about 1/3 cup oyster sauce and mix well. Add the following ingredients.

1/2 cup of water
1 carrot, julienned
4 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and sliced 
200g sliced beef
10 pieces prawns
1 tablespoon black pepper
Salt to taste

Once the beef is no longer pink, add your soaked bee hoon and continue flipping your bee hoon making sure every strand is coated with the seasoning. Add some chopped sawi or chye sim and continue cooking until the fluids are dried and the noodles are soft. Sprinkle with fried shallots and sliced red chilli . I also like eating them with pickles green chillis... Yummmmm

No comments:

Pin It