About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Mamak Mutton Chops


I do not miss Singapore, the country, but I do miss the food!! One of them is mutton chops which is easily available at every Indian stall! My favourite of course is at West Coast Food Centre! 

It's seriously easy... I mean who doesn't know how to fry an egg, some potato wedges, slice a cucumber and plonk some peas on a plate right?? Heck even a 12 year old can do that! 

It's the red sauce that a 12 year old can't do! Here's my recipe for 4 persons after trial and error.. The only problem was, there was no mutton available so I bought beef and its equally as awesome! 

I bought 250g pre-cut sirloin for stir frying so I know I can just toss it in quickly and it'll be tender. 

Marinade the beef with 2 tsp of soya sauce (I use cap Kipas) with 1 tablespoon of tomato ketchup. Set aside.

For mutton or lamb, you need to boil the cubed meat in salted water for at least an hour until tender. Once cooled, slice according to preference and toss into the cooked red sauce.

Red Sauce

3 shallots
1 garlic
2 tablespoon chilli paste
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
2 tablespoons chilli sauce 
1 teaspoon sweet soya sauce (cap Kipas)
1 teaspoon salted soya sauce (cap Kipas)
1/4 cup water
Salt to taste
A few drops of red food colouring. 

First, stir fry the beef in hot oil until just about cooked. When all sides are no longer pink. Set aside.

Blend the shallot and garlic and sauté with the chilli paste until fragrant. Add the spices and continue to sauté. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Use only a few drops of red food colouring to get that red mamak sauce. Stir the cooked beef in and let it simmer to coat the beef and the sauce is thickened. 

Serve with potato wedges, peas, fried eggs, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. 

Enjoy!




6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing!!! I came across your recipe yesterday and decided to give it a go and it turned out fab

narny said...

Most welcome! Happy to share!

chapters of my life said...

U rock my socks! I jus started learning to cook n i find ur instructions super easy to follow. Thank u!!!

chapters of my life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Narny said...

Thanks so much love! Enjoy cooking!

Norafei said...

tried your recipe. nice. thanks for sharing.

Pin It