About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Yangnyeom Tongdak or Korean Spicy Sticky Chicken


I was craving all things Korean lately! I dream of eating ssam with grilled garlic, kimchi and all the variety of banchan and galbi guee .... aarrggghhhhh

So yesterday I felt like having some fried chicken wings and what better way to appease my cravings than to make the sticky spicy and sweet Yangnyeom Tongdak.. like any pre frying mis-en-place.. just season your raw wings / drummets with salt and pepper... this recipe calls for about 1kg of wings.. so if you are frying more, make double batter and sauce...

Once your seasoned chicken is salted and peppered, add the following ingredients onto the chicken and mix with your hand...don´t be afraid to get it dirty.. thats the only way you can get it well coated.

Ingredients:-

1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sweet rice flour (chapssal) or if its hard to find, use plain rice flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 egg

Make sure every piece of chicken in well coated and deep fry for 5 minutes, remove and let it rest. Continue frying your other batches. These chicken needs to be fried TWICE!!

Once the earlier batch of chicken has cooled down, refried them until golden brown. The purpose is to ´harden´ the batter so that it is ultra crispy. You may not know this but in Indonesia, most of the fried chicken recipes call for double frying.. sometimes tripled for cripy paru or fried lungs!!

What you can do while waiting for the re-fried chicken to be done is to do the sauce.. it is simple... in case you have no clue what is gochujang, its a spicy fermented chilli paste thats used in kimchi and most banchan (side dishes). Its even used in cooking bibimbap.



4 cloves of garlic (minced)
1/3 cup tomato ketchup
1/3 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup gochujang (hot pepper paste)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Sesame seeds
Oil

Sautee the minced garlic in oil, ad once golden, add in the ketchup, syrup, gochujang and vinegar. Simmer until thick and bubbly. Add in your twice fried chicken and coat it with the sauce. Sprinkle sesame seeds and enjoy while its hot.. You can eat it as a side dish or for me, hot steaming rice, some kimchi is enjoy to make me happy... 맛있게 드세요 ..mas-issge deuseyo !!

1 comment:

Nyasha said...

Looks delicious especially the photos, will have to try th recipe later! I also did a recipe post that I hope you'll be able to comment and read: http://nyamwithny.com/nyam-recipes-yangnyeom-chicken/ I find yangnyeom chicken quite a staple in Korean food, what else is your favourites among Korean chicken that you like to cook?

Pin It