About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Mee Tomato


With the in laws coming tomorrow and my new batch of yellow mee in stock , I decided to cook Mee Tomato to clear the fridge. Mildly spicy for a cold, thunderous evening .. It's a refreshing change from the usual Mee Hong Kong.

Blended Items

A handful of dried chillis, soaked
1 large onion or 2 medium size ones
3 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp coriander powder 
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1cm belachan 
1/4 cup water 

Sautée the blended ingredients in oil until fragrant. Toss the beef in and brown with the spices and and in the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the vegetables are tender.

1 slab of beef sirloin, around 150g sliced thinly
2 tomatoes chopped 
1/2 can tomato purée 
1/2 can Campbell tomato soup
1 carrot, chopped into half inch lengths
1 potato, cubed
Baby corn, chopped
2 liters water
1 tablespoon beef stock powder or 1 cube of beef stock
1 tablespoon white pepper 
2 tablespoon sugar
salt to taste

2 tablespoon cornstarch mix with water

Once the vegetable and beef are tender and the soup is boiling, stir in the cornstarch to thicken the soup. Serve with blanched yellow noodles, sliced bok choy, chopped parsley, fried shallots. For those who like it spicy, drizzle some sambal kicap over. 




No comments:

Pin It