About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Friday, July 30, 2010

Moussaka



I just loooooove Moussaka!! This is a Greek version although the Turkish and even Hungarian have their own version I like this because of the Bechamel sauce poured on top which gives it a cross-taste similar to that of Shephard's Pie.

Bechamel Sauce

Heat 2 cups of milk
In another pan, melt 1/2 cup butter and stir in 3 tablespoon of flour. Once the flour & butter is throughly combined, add the warmed milk bit by bit while whisking. Add 1 tsp salt & 1 tsp black pepper. Adjust to taste. Once the bechamel sauce cools down, whisk in 2 whole eggs.



Meat Sauce

1 onion
3 cloves garlic

Dice the above ingredients & sautee in olive oil.

500g minced beef
1 tin of diced tomatoes
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp oregano
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 tsp salt

Brown the beef in the onion mixture and add all the ingredients until the sauce is completely dried. Season to taste


3 large Aubergine

Slice the aubergine thinly and coat it with olive oil and sprinkle salt and bake for 5 minutes until the aubergines soften.

Layering

Cheddar Cheese (grated)
2 Potatoes

Slice the potatoes and layer in the baking dish. Cook the potatoes in the oven for 5 minutes. Take it out and start layering with aubergine. Pour over the meat sauce and sprinkle cheddar cheese.

Layer again with aubergine and cheese and pour the bechamel sauce. Sprinkle with nutmeg powder & balance cheese. Bake in 175 degree oven for 45 min to 1 hour.

No comments:

Pin It