About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Monday, August 02, 2010

Nonya Ayam Pongteh



Its a really hot day today and what better way to enjoy the heat with even more heat from sambal belachan and hot steaming rice.
I decided to cook Ayam Pongteh or Stewed Miso Chicken. Its a really simple but somewhat satisfying dish.

Recipe

10 shallots
4 garlic cloves

1 stick cinnamon
4 tablespoon taucho
2 tablespoon sugar
1 teapoon salt
2 cups water
1 tablespoon dark soya sauce

1/2 chicken cut into smaller parts
bamboo shoots cut into thin slices
6 dried shiitake mushroom soaked and cut into quarters
coriander leaves

Blend the garlic & shallot and sautee in oil until fragrant. Add in 1 stick of cinnamon and continue sauteeing.
Add the taucho and sautee for another minute before adding sugar, salt, soya sauce, chicken & water. After 10 minutes add in the bamboo shoots & mushroom and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes. Add the chopped coriander leaves and serve with rice, ulam & sambal belachan. Best to cook the dish 1 day in advanced so that the flavours are soaked through.

No comments:

Pin It