About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Soto Betawi with Acar

I love love this.... especially now that it's cold and rainy....



Blend the following ingredient and sautee in oil until fragrant

8 cloves garlic
8 cloves red onion
4 cm ginger
4cm galangal
6 candle nuts

once fragrant add the following item and sautee again for 5 minutes. Add more oil if necessary

1 lemongrass
4 bay leaves
4 lime leaves
1 cinnamon
1 star anise
1tsp ground tumeric
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp ground coriander

1 can (250ml) coconut milk
500ml water (adjust according to preferred consistency.. I like mine thick
salt sugar
1kg beef (sliced)

Cook for another 10 minutes after adding the beef or until beef is tender and the rest of the ingredients. Season to taste. Serve the Soto Betawi in a bowl with the following toppings:-

Chopped Tomatoes
Fried Potatoes
Spring Onions
Sliced Lettuce
Lime Slices
Fried Onions
Emping Belinjo (I used the spicy belinjo)

Acar Cuka (Pickles)
Cucumber, Carrots, Shallots, Chilli Padi (All chopped)
Vinger, Salt & Sugar

Combine * leave overnight

Vinegar Chili

2 stalks green chilli
10 stalks chilli padi
vinegar, salt, sugar

Blend all the ingredients and sauteed in oil. Add water to dilute a bit.

Serve with rice topped with fried onions


No comments:

Pin It