About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Kaasstengel

I have a love hate relationship with the rain.....
I love it when it rains but I hate the fact that I'm always hungry especially when it starts pouring!!

I decided to make a cup hot English Breakfast tea with milk but I needed something to go with that..raiding the fridge and cabinets, i found flour, butter and cheddar cheese... darn it! No Edam in the fridge but I guess better Cheddar than none.. So Kaasstengel it is... In Dutch Kaas means Cheese and Stengel is Straw.. Cheesestraw... but i was hungry and i wanted it done before the rain stops so i used a cookie cutter instead...




Recipe


150g butter
1 egg yolk
1/4 tsp salt
40ml cream
125g grated Edam cheese (I used cheddar today)
250g flour
10g milk powder
10g cornflour

1 egg yolk
more grated cheese

Cream the butter, mix salt to the egg and whisk. Add the egg yolk to the butter. Mix in cheese, flour, milk powder and cornflour. While mixing, add the cream slowly until well mixed. Roll the cheese dough and make into logs or long strips.. but today i used a cookie cutter instead. Place on a greased baking tray. I used silicone paper to line my trays. Brush the unbaked cookie with egg yolk and sprinkle grated cheese. Bake in 180 degrees oven for 20 min until brown...

No comments:

Pin It