About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Monday, May 17, 2010

Ikan Pesmol & Bening Petola

Arrrgghhh why do I do this to myself?? When I am in Jakarta all i eat are fast food, western and then when I come back to Singapore I crave for something Indonesian.... something is seriously wrong with me!!



So today's lunch is Ikan Pesmol (Fish In Pesmol Seasoning) & Bening Petola (Braised Luffa)

Recipe for Fish in Pesmol


5 pieces of Mackerel or Carp Fish
seasoned with
1 tsp vinegar, turmeric poweder & salt
Deep fried until golden brown

4 candlenuts
4 onions
4 garlic
1cm ginger
1cm turmeric rhizome

Blend all the above ingredients and sautee with oil on low heat until fragrant

2 red chillis or bird's eye chilli if you prefer more heat (Julienned)
4 bay leaves
3 tablespoon coconut cream
2 tsp salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup water

Add in the remaining ingredients and season according to taste. Pour over fish and serve hot with rice and sambal terasi.

Another unassuming vegetable that i love is the Luffa from the gourd family or otherwise known as the sponge plant...
you can literally use it as a sponge or loofah once its dried! Chinese sinseh believe its good for dispersing a fever or reducing phlegm as it has anti-inflammatory properties.





Braised Luffa

2 onions sliced
2 garlic sliced
1 chilli sliced
10 anchovies soaked (Ikan bilis)

Sautee the sliced ingredients and add in the anchovies.

1m long Luffa trimmed and sliced into 1 inch lengths
a handful of rice sticks soaked
2 tsp ikan bilis powder
2 cups of water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

Add in the remaining ingredients and braised for 10 mins.


No comments:

Pin It