About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Ayam Percik

Ayam Percik is believed to originate from Kelantan.. a state in Malaysia... Percik is literally 'splash' so its English translation is Splashed Chicken? ehehhe



If you have a griller or BBQ of course thats the best option. Otherwise if you're pressed for time like me, just pop it in the oven for 25, uncovered, and you get that nice semi-burnt texture ...

Recipe

1 griller chicken (enough for 4 servings) or normal chicken - cut into desired pieces. Some people prefer just wings or drumsticks... we use whole chicken because every member of our family likes diffent parts of the chicken.. :-)

5 bombay onions
5 garlic
1 lemongrass
1 cm turmeric rhizome
2 cm ginger
10 stalks of dried chilli (soaked)
1 stalk fresh chilli
4 candlenuts

More chillis can be used but i made ours mild so that the kids can eat them.
Blend the above ingredients and sautee until fragrant.

1/2 cup tamarind juice
1/2 cup coconut cream (I use Santan Kara)
1/2 cup water
2 tsp salt
2 tablespoon sugar

Add all the above ingredients to the sauteed ingredients and simmer the chicken until half cooked.

Heat the oven to 180 degrees. I lined the baking tray with alluminum foil for easy clean up. Place the chicken on the foil and baste the chicken with the gravy. Bake for 15 minutes and baste again with the remaining gravy. Remove the chicken after 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate and pour the excess gravy over it.

Serve it with steamed rice, samabal belachan and ulam...

No comments:

Pin It