About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Ongol-Ongol Ubi (Steamed Cassava Cake)




I love all things cassava! Especially traditional kuihs such as Bingka Ubi or this. For Bingka Ubi it's baked but Ongol Ongol is steamed.

I made a small portion enough for 4 people.

250g finely grated cassava

90ml of coconut milk
50g sugar
1/3 packet of agar-agar powder (4g)
A pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla Essence

Food colouring (I used pink and green)

1 cup grated coconut steamed with Pandan leaves & 1/2 tsp salt

Whisk sugar and coconut milk & agar-agar powder. Add salt, vanilla and grated cassava. Make sure it's throughly mixed.

Divide the mixture into 2 and add drops of food colouring according to your preference.

I use those 'take-away' plastic containers (16x11). Grease with cooking oil and place one bowl of mixture. Smooth the top and steam for 15 min. Remove from steamer and pour the next bowl of mixture. Steam for 30 min. Remove from steamer and cool. Once the Ongol Ongol is cool, slice and roll onto coconut.



No comments:

Pin It