About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Talam Berlauk







I love love love talam Berlauk Kukus!! What's usually more popular is the Kuih Berlauk which is oven baked.

So since Mr Hubs went to Bogor and bought me a whole load of Yams, time to make it! The pic is a little blurry cuz of all the steam from steamer. And no I forgot to take a proper pic :-(

For the filling / topping -

1 large onion (sliced)
1 garlic (minced)
Minced beef 200g
1-2 Chillis (sliced)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chicken stock powder
Salt to taste
A bunch of spring onions & parsley (chopped)
Fried shallots (bawang goreng)

Sautéed the onions, garlic and Chili in oil until fragrant and add beef and seasonings. Lastly add in the chopped herbs and fried shallots. You can all more Chilli if you like it spicy.






For the base you only need ONE yam.. the root part and only 100-150g worth of chopped, boiled yam.




Drain and mash the yam




For the base, all you need is to mix all of the following ingredients in a pot and cook over slow fire until slightly thickened. Then add the mashed yam in. Add also about 1-2 spoonful of topping into the mixture. The perfect size for this quantity is the 6x6 takeaway plastic container

90g rice flour
20g corn flour
10g all purpose flour
500ml coconut milk. (I used 150ml Kara and added 350ml water)
Salt to taste




Grease the container and pour the base mixture in and steam for 15min. Then pour all the topping and continue steaming for another 45min. You need to cool the dish completely before cutting so that it's firm. Trust me if you're impatient, all you'll get is a mushy savoury bubur sumsum.. (yes I talk from experience :-))




No comments:

Pin It