About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Friday, June 28, 2013

Dry Beef Noodles


Today i was sooooo craving beef noodles at The Banquet in Jurong Point. Its so awesome that i had to make it today. Of course its not even close in my opinions (im always critical of my own cooking) but the Hubs throughly enjoyed it ! But man the broth / beef brisket took 5 hours to cook! Don't be scared... 5 hours passes quickly if you started cooking other appetizers like I did ... :-)

For the broth,

1/2 chopped yellow onion
1 large shallot
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon chopped garlic 

Sauté the above ingredients in a bit of oil until fragrant.

1kg beef brisket or any part that you prefer - cut into 1 inch cubes 

Add the beef and sear all sides.

5 whole cloves of garlic
1 cinnamon stick
3 cloves 
2 star anise 
2 liters of beef broth / vegetable stock
1/2 cup chopped coriander
2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar

Add the above ingredients and simmer for 5 hours, continuously adding more water to keep the water level above the beef. Once beef is really tender continue simmering until you get about 4 cups broth. Season with salt / pepper to taste 

For the gravy,

1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon ginger paste

2 cups of beef broth

Sauté in oil until fragrant. Add the beef broth and let simmer. Add in the following seasonings.

2 tablespoon dark soya sauce
1 tablespoon light soya sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon oyster sauce 
1 tsp pepper

1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup water (mix)

Add the cornstarch water mixture into the simmering ingredients and pour over your noodles. I couldn't find the laksa noodles here in Jakarta or the flat kway teow but I found Fortune's Hong Kong Noodles and I used that! 
If you decide to use the same noodles I did, all you need is a pot of boiling water, blanch the noodles in and once cooked, rinse with water to remove the starch and then pour the gravy in.

I blanched some cai sim, added sliced spring onions, lettuce and fried shallots over the noodles with a side bowl of that delicious beef broth! Don't forget your chilli! I sprinkled chilli flakes for more heat!







No comments:

Pin It