About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Basic Bread Recipe



I could never resist bread... I especially love crusty bread fresh out of the oven slathered with lots of salted butter! Yes salted!! Ha ha 

Last night I was feeling peckish and the shops were closed so I had to make my own bread to appease my cravings ! Just 5 ingredients . That's it!

310ml warm water
14g instant dried yeast 
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all of the above in a jug and let it froth for 5-8 minutes.

500g flour (you can use bread flour, wholemeal but I just used plain old flour)

Make a well in the middle of the flour and pour the yeast mixture and slowly incorporate the flour and knead for about 5 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Try not to dust the dough with too much flour but instead dip your hands in flour if it gets sticky. Dust the sides of the bowl and the top of the dough with flour, cover and let rise for 30 minutes.


After 30 minutes, punch the dough and knead, roll and shape your dough just enough to fit into your baking tin. Cover and let rise for another 30 minutes.

Bake at 190 degrees for 30 minutes or until a hollow sound can be heard when you tap the bread.

No comments:

Pin It