About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Homemade Okonomiyaki



For the longest time since takoyaki made its way to our shores in the 90s i´ve loved it. The first time I tried it was at the Narita airport! But since I do not have that round metal grill, i shall stick to another Japanese snack favourite which is the Okonomiyaki... here in Jakarta they sell all sorts of fillings so feel free you add whatever you want.

Today I made prawn & tako okonomiyaki. You can also buy the okonomiyaki sauce at the store but being in Jakarta means I have to make everything from scratch unless I head down to Papaya which have sauce, katsuobushi & kewpie! 

Okonomiyaki Sauce

tablespoons Tomato puree 
2 tablespoons Ketchup 
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce 3 tablespoons  Dark soy sauce 
1 teaspoon Sugar 100ml Dashi (bonito stock) - (didn´t have that so i used chicken stock)2 tablespoons Cornstarch - dissolved in 2 tablespoons Water 

Bring tomato puree, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sugar and dashi to boil in saucepan over high heat. Add cornstarch mixture, a little at a time, and cook until thickened to the texture of ketchup. Cool before serving.

I tried another recipe for the sauce. Much easier too. Just mix the following .. So if u want it fuss - free... Use this instead :-)

2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 teaspoon worchestershire sauce
2 tablespoon honey 
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup 

Batter

3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup corn flour
1 cup Dashi (I used chicken stock)
1 egg
A dash of pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
a pinch of salt

Mix everything and leave the batter aside for at least an hour to rest.

1 cup sliced cabbage
1/4 cup spring onions
1/2 carrot grated
6 prawns chopped
1/2 cup boiled, thinly sliced octopus 

Add the ingredients to the batter and pan fry with very little oil until each side is golden. Cut into small pieces and drizzle with mayonaise, okonomiyaki sauce and if you have katsuobushi, generously sprinkle on top!


No comments:

Pin It