About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Gulab Jamun

I always have this love hate relationship with Indian desserts.. Love the combo but it's always too sweet! 

I made some really simple ones and it isn't as sweet as the usual gulab jamun...  

Mix 1 cup milk powder, 1/4 cup flour, a pinch of salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder and enough milk or yoghurt to make the dough smooth.

Oil your hands with ghee (clarified butter) and roll into balls. 

Deep fry the balls in oil or hot ghee. (Because ghee is pretty expensive I just fry mine in oil) 😉 

For the syrup, simmer 50g sugar with 50ml of water with a pinch of saffron, 2 cardamom pods and 1/2 tsp rose water. 

You can omit the Rose water if you like but it adds to the whole indian dessert vibe ! 

Once the sugar dissolves, soak the balls into the syrup. And rolling them gently so that they get coated evenly . Do note because I didn't want it too sweet, all the syrup will be absorbed by the balls. If you have a sweet tooth, double the syrup recipe and soak the balls for 30 minutes! Happy trying! 

No comments:

Pin It