About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Kuih Lompang


My Mak used to make these all the time when I was little .. Mak is my granny and I love her to bits. I used to help (make a mess) when she makes this in the kampung at Jalan Mat Jambol. So fun to see many bowl of batters fill with various colours .. That was my childhood :-)

Lompang is a gadget that they used to pound padi so it's concave in the middle. Similar to a mortar and pestle .. The javanese would also call mouth ulcers "lompangen" because there's a hole in your mouth.  Ok back to the kuih...

Simply make a syrup..

1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 Pandan leaf

Set aside to cool. Once it's not boiling hot, pour it into the flour mixture.

In a bowl, mix the following ingredient:-

3/4 cup rice flour 
1/3 cup water or 1/3 cup pandan water (if you want your batter to be green)
1/2 teaspoon alkaline water

Pandan paste 
Various food colourings
Salt
Shredded coconut
Pandan leaf, cut into smaller pieces

Mix the flour with the sugar water and divide into bowls with various colours. For green I always use Pandan paste for colour and flavour so I always tend to make more of that .. But it's totally your choice.

Prepare the mould greased in oil, pour your batter 7/8 of the way and steam for 20-25 minutes. Scoop around the mould with a teaspoon to extract the kuih out. 

Steam or microwave shredded coconut or kelapa Parut with a pinch of salt and Pandan leaves. Top the kuih with it. Allow the kuih to rest for 10 minutes to set. Usually it's still a bit wet when it's freshly out of the steamer ... 

No comments:

Pin It