About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Monday, March 09, 2015

Japanese Strawberry Shortcake


Made this a few days ago when my cousin & family came over for lunch. It's a really subtle dessert that's just perfect because I like cake with fruits!

Firstly make the sponge a day ahead or wait until it's cooled down to slice it in half.

Vanilla Sponge 

90g sugar
3 eggs

Whisk this in a bowl over Bain Marie until the sugar dissolves.

20g butter
1 tablespoon milk

Combine milk and butter and melt it in a microwave. Set aside.

90g cake flour (sifted)
1 tsp vanilla essence


Whisk the eggs until really frothy and add the flour bit by bit by folding it in with a spatula.
Add the vanilla and finally the liquid.

Pour into a lined 6 inch cake tin and bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool

Frosting

2 cups cream
1/4 icing sugar 
1/2 tsp vanilla essence 

Whip the cream until almost thickened and add in the sugar bit by bit. Once it's stiff, add in the vanilla.

Filling

Strawberries (hulled and chopped into pieces)
Peaches (chopped)

Sugar syrup

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water

Simmer sugar and water until all the sugar has melted and set aside to cool.

Now time to assemble the cake.

Brush some sugar syrup onto the sponge
Layer it with cream and fruits
Top with more cream and put the top layer. Frost the cake with the balance cream and decorate it to your preference.
Chill for at least an hour. 

No comments:

Pin It