About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Panada

Tuesday 21 April 2015 is Kartini Day and the kids have to dress up in traditional
Costumes and bring Sulawesi food .. So I'm practicing making Panada today 

In Indonesian cuisine, panada is a breadsnack filled with spicy tuna or cakalangfish (skipjack tuna). It is actually derived from Portuguese empanada. It is the specialty of Manado city, Minahasa peopleNorth SulawesiIndonesia. The name comes from Spanish pan 'bread'.

Panada dough (recipe makes 9 panadas)

150g flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast 
1/2 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoon coconut cream
1/4 cup water (more or less)
1 egg

Knead all the ingredients until smooth to make a soft dough. Add the water in bit by bit because it depends on the size of your egg. You want a smooth soft dough.
Cover and let it rise for 30 minutes.


Make the tuna filling : you can opt for a really spicy filling or a mild one

2 stalks red chilli (more if you want it spicy)
1 small onion 
1 garlic 
1/2 inch lengkuas 
1cm shrimp paste 
1/2 inch ginger
1/2 kemiri
1 small lemongrass or half stalk of the fat ones

Blitz the ingredient and Sautee in oil. 

1/2 tsp pepper 
Salt to taste 
1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste 
1/2 teaspoon sugar
150g boiled and flaked tuna meat or you can use canned tuna, drained from oil or brine 
4 stalks of basil leaves.. Wanted to use kamangi but couldn't get it.

Add in the tuna and the rest of the seasonings. Continue frying until dry.

 
I weigh the dough (approximately 25g each) and roll flat. I also used the epok-epok press because I'm lazy like that .

Fill with the fillings and let the panadas rest for 15-20 minutes 
 Deep fry in oil until golden and puffed up. 

No comments:

Pin It