About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Apple Turnovers

Made these apple turnovers for Faris's entrepreneurship day bake sale... Of course you can make your own puff pastry but since I always keep a batch of store bought ones in the freezer, why not use them? 

Frozen puff pastry

6 apples skinned, cored and sliced into small pieces
1/2 cup brown sugar
a pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 cup water

1 tablespoon cornstarch mix with 1/4 cup water

Egg wash 

Cook the apple filling on low heat for 5 minutes. We just need the apples to absorb the spices and sugar. Once the mixture starts boiling, add the cornstarch mix to thicken the sauce. Set aside to cool 

Now lets work with the pastry. Dust flour on your work surface and roll the pastry about 3mm thin. Cut into squares and leave some puff pastry for the trimmings.
Brush eggwash at the edges of the pastry, spread the apple filling in the middle and place strips of puff pastry over the top. Brush the strips with eggwash again and bake for 30 minutes on 180 degrees. 

No comments:

Pin It