About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Mee Soto


Back in Singapore there was hardly any reason for me to cook this because practically every Malay stall sells this! 
Unfortunately, here in Jakarta the soto is different.

They have all kinds of soto and one of my favourite is soto betawi which is served with hot rice, pickles and sambal. But all these do not go well with noodles like what we are accustomed to. 

Blend the ingredients and sautée until fragrant.

1 large onion
5 candlenuts
5 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
2 inches lengkuas (galangal)
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds 
1 tablespoon white pepper

1 cinnamon stick 
5 cardamom pods
3 star anise 
5 cloves 
1 lemongrass bruised
1 chicken stock cube
3 tablespoons kurma powder
2 tablespoon sugar
Salt to taste
5 chicken wings
1 chicken breasts or half a chicken
3 liters of water approximately

Vermicelli or yellow noodles 

Once the blended ingredients are fragrant, sautée the cinnamon, star anise, cardamom, cloves and kurma powder. Add water and the rest of the ingredient and boil for about 45 minutes to an hour. 
Add more water to the broth once it reduces according to preference.

Remove the chicken breasts, cool and shred. 

Prepare your noodles by boiling it and setting it aside. Serve your preferred noodles with taugeh (bean sprouts), parsley, shredded chicken, fried shallots, begedil (potato patties), boiled eggs ( optional) and lots of sambal kicap ! Perfect for a cold, wet, rainy day! 

No comments:

Pin It