About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Lempeng with Sambal Tumis / Malay Pancakes

See.... I get tempted over other people's post too and today Mak Ju's lempeng made me change my breakfast menu! 

Thankfully I had some pre-made sambal in the fridge and added the ikan bilis.

For me a super soft lempeng is key!

Batter

1 cup flour
1 cup warm water
1 egg
1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp salt


Mix the batter until smooth and let it rest for 5 minutes to let the soda work it's magic. Alternatively when I'm lazy (which is quite often, I'll just whizz it up in the blender) :-)

Heat some oil in a non-stick pan and pour the batter just like how you cook your pancakes. Flip and cook the other side. Serve with sambal! Fuuuhhh

Sambal Tumis 

2 large onions
A handful of dried chillis, soaked
3 cloves of garlic
A thumb size belachan
A bit of water to blend

A walnut size of asam or tamarind, mixed with water to get the juice 
1.5 tsp of salt (or to taste)
2 tablespoons sugar

1 cup Ikan bilis / anchovies, soaked

Just blend the above items in a blender until smooth. Sauté in about 1 cup of oil and make sure the ingredients are really fragrant and "crispy". Add your salt, sugar and tamarind water. Add a bit more water if preferred. Mix in your soaked Ikan bilis and cook through. 

No comments:

Pin It