About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Monday, September 16, 2013

Homemade Cannoli with Ricotta Filling

Yes yes ... I get like this when I'm itching to travel... Reminiscing is not great for my waistline! Yesterday was Spain which was why I made churros ... Today was Italy so it's cannoli ... Siggghhhh

Then I realized I don't have the tools to make my shells so I rolled a thick board and wrapped it with aluminum foil. It worked!!

Cannoli Shells 

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon butter
1/8 tsp salt 
2 tsp sugar
1 egg yolk 
1/4-1/2 cup cold white grape juice or apple juice. Or cold water 

Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Rub in butter into the flour until you get coarse grains, add the yolk and add the juice or water in bit by bit until the dough is smooth. Let the dough rest for a bit.

Dust your work surface and roll the dough thinly. Use a round cutter, and wrap the dough onto your tool, pipe or anything cylindrical. 
Seal the pastry with egg wash. Fry in hot oil until golden brown. Set aside in an airtight container until you're ready to
fill it up.

Ricotta Filling

1 cup ricotta cheese (drained)
1/3 cup icing sugar
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp allspice powder
1/3 cup heavy cream (whipped)
Chocolate chips, pistachios, cherries (optional)

Whisk your ricotta until smooth. Add in sugar and spices and fold the whipped cream in. Chill in the fridge to set for at least an hour. You can do this the night before. You can add chocolate chips in the filling or leave it plain, fill the shells up using a piping bag and sprinkle more chips or chopped pistachios at the end. Dust with icing sugar. Bon Appetito!

No comments:

Pin It