About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Monday, July 29, 2013

Ondeh-Ondeh Kledek / Klepon / Sweet Potato Balls


I love these little balls that has many names !! The Indonesians call it Klepon, majority of Singaporeans and Malaysians call it Ondeh-Ondeh .. It is also called Buah Melaka ... I've seen many people make with just glutinous flour but this recipe calls for the real deal ... Sweet potatoes... 

2 sweet potatoes boiled
1 potato boiled 
You need 300g of mashed sweet potatoes / potatoes 
3-4 blocks of Gula Melaka (chopped)

4 pandan leaves blended with 100ml water and sieved. 
Pour 50 ml of pandan juice into the mashed potatoes 
Add also 50ml of coconut milk / cream
A pinch of salt
Then slowly add 150g of glutinous rice flour bit by bit or until you get the right consistency to make into balls 

The consistency should be soft and play-doh like :-)

Roll into balls and add chopped Gula Melaka 
Boil a pot of water with the balance 50ml of pandan juice . I love the extra fragrance it gives.

I divided my dough in half. I added a bit of green coloring to half the dough to make it more green. The pandan juice wasn't strong enough and I left another half with the yellow sweet potato colour. 

I find rolling the dough with gula melaka and then plonking the dough into the boiling water immediately gives the best result. Many times I made a whole plate and when I'm ready to boil them, the Gula Melaka has already seeped through ... So I stood in front of the stove and roll and plonk and much preferred the result ! The balls will float to the surface once throughly cooked. Steam some grated coconut with salt and pandan leaves and roll the Ondeh-Ondeh in it. 

300g mashed sweet potatoes / potato
150g glutinous rice flour
50g pandan juice
50g coconut milk / cream
A pinch of salt

Green colouring / green pandan essence for green Ondeh-Ondeh 

Boiling water
50g pandan juice

Grated coconut
Salt
Pandan leaves

No comments:

Pin It