About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Saturday, April 06, 2013

Baked Macaroni Shepherd's Pie


yeah yeah .. its a mouthful.. but thats what you get when you can't decide between a Mac & Cheese and Shepherd's Pie! And all because I had a tupperware full of cooked macaroni from the other day's chicken soup! The things that go on in my head!!

I started simply with the pie meat base..

Pie

1 large onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 carrot (chopped)
olive oil for sauteeing

500g minced beef or lamb
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 fresh tomato (chopped)
1 portobello mushroom (thinly sliced)
1 tablespoon of arrabbiata seasoning
(or you could just add some parsley flakes, dried garlic, peperoncino flakes)
salt / pepper

Sautee the onion, garlic & carrots until they started sweating and then  brown the meat. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low heat for 15 minutess. Set aside

Macaroni

2 to 3 cups of cooked macaroni or any other pasta

1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoon flour
600ml milk
100g cheddar cheese
(I realized I had a white & red cheddar today so my cheese sauce looked a little pale)
1 tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon black pepper
salt

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add in the flour once melted to make a light roux. Pour the milk and stir constantly. Once flour is throughly mixed, add the cheddar cheese and continue stirring until thickened.
Pour your cooked macaroni and stir and season with mustard, salt & pepper.


Mashed Potatoes

Who doesn't know how to make a mash right?? Well I usually use Russet potatoes cuz they mash easily and absorbs liquid better than other potatoes like Yukon or Holland.

5 potatoes boiled, skinned and mashed
1/2 cup cream (yes.... this is so indulgent)
3 tablespoon butter
salt and pepper to taste




Layer your ramekins with the meat sauce, macaroni & then top it off with the mashed potatoes & sprinkle cheese over it. Baked on 180 degrees for 20 minutes. I made a side dish of Ottolenghi's Chargrilled Broccoli with Chilli & Garlic .. perfect!!


No comments:

Pin It