About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Breakfast Casserole


Okay I was bored with the usual breakfast spread and with the kids at home sick today I just wanted something fast, filling but hearty at the same time. Plus I had half a loaf of bread thats expiring tomorrow! What to do? What to do? (Thats the question I ask myself every morning at 6am!)


So breakfast casserole it it! Its like a quiche / bread pudding sort of feel but with all the savoury goodness. The options for the fillings are endless.. I basically dumped everything I could find in the fridge. First of all I buttered my dish and layered with my sandwich bread. Why butter and not oil?? Do you butter your toast with butter or oil? Dumb question!

Then I top the bread layer with sauteed ham / sausage filling as follows

1 onions (chopped)
1 garlic (chopped)
3 turkey hams (small cubes)
2 sausages (small cubes)
1 pack of enoki mushrooms (1 inch lengths)
pepper
butter (for sauteeing)

2 hashbrowns (cubed)
baked beans
more bread (cubed)

I also found hashbrowns and baked beans which I 'sprinkled' over the fillings. I also chopped more bread and added on top. Then I sprinkled it with cheese.

quiche sauce 

3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cream
2 tablespoon flour
salt / pepper

Tomatoes (sliced)

Whisk all the above in a jug and pour over the fillings. Press down to make sure the bread are soaked through. Arrange tomatoes over the top. Sprinkle more cheese on top. I just like the taste of baked tomatoes when its dried up. Yummy!! Bake for 30-35 minutes on 160 degrees until its golden brown and the quiche sauce is firm. Slice into squares and serve!

No comments:

Pin It