About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Malasada Portugese Doughnuts


Say what??? Malasada is a Portugese doughnut which is usually eaten during Mardi Gras... It actually means "mal-assada" which is "lightly roasted"
These doughnuts are also popular in Hawaii!

Today I made the traditional ones without any filling . Just icing sugar with cinnamon .... Heavenly....

This recipe makes about 18-24 doughnuts depending on your spoon or scoop. For a first timer, you may want to halve the recipe. 

Firstly, mix the yeast with the warm water and sugar, stir and set aside for about 5 minutes.

1 tablespoon instant yeast (half packet 6g)
1/8 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar

In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients

3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
A pinch of salt

In another bowl mix the wet ingredients

1/8 cup melted butter
1/2 + 1/4 cup water
3/4 evaporated milk
3 eggs

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add all the wet ingredients except that 1/4 cup. Slowly fold in until well mixed. If the dough is too "hard" add the extra 1/4 cup water. It's should be a wet dough. (See pic)

Cover and set aside for 30 minutes until doubled the volume.

Fold the dough over and let rise another 10 minute. Dough will be light and yeasty.

Drop about a large tablespoonful of dough in the oil. Deep fry until both sides are golden brown. Roll in icing sugar and sprinkle cinnamon over. You could use castor sugar but I find it nicer with icing as it sticks to the dough.







No comments:

Pin It