About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Friday, April 26, 2013

Bread and Butter Pudding with Vanilla Sauce

Family get-togethers are so much fun! Especially if a menu is given... Less headache ! So one of the request was for bread and butter pudding from my heavily pregnant cousin .. Ive had this recipe forever from when i worked at the pastry kitchen in one of the hotels back then. The recipe is yields a 6X6 casserole dish.

2 croissants
2 white bread
2 wholemeal bread
(You can use all white bread or whatever leftovers you have if, but I like the combination and texture of all three)

100g melted butter (I like salted)
1/2 cup raisins

4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract

Cut the bread into bite size pieces and drizzle 3/4 of the melted butter over the bread so that each bite of the pudding is nice and buttery, make sure to leave some for the topping. Sprinkle raisin over. I use both golden and normal.

Mix the rest of the ingredients in a jug and whisk until well mixed. Pour over the bread and press down with a spoon gently to make sure every bread is soaked through. Drizzle the melted butter over. I like sprinkling more raisins and a wee bit more cinnamon on top.

Bake for 30-35 minutes on 180 degrees until the pudding is set and not wobbly .

Vanilla Sauce 1 (Proper Sauce Recipe)

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoon butter
A pinch of salt
A dash of cinnamon
2 cm vanilla pod
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat over really low heat. Use a small whisk and continual stirring until mixture is thicken and coats the back of a spoon. Serve with the pudding

Vanilla Sauce 2 (A cheat's version)

300ml milk
2 tablespoon Bird's Custard Powder
1-2 tablespoon sugar (depending on the sweetness you desire)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence 
1/2 vanilla pod 
A tiny pinch of salt

Ok there are times when I am too lazy to make vanilla sauce from scratch so what I do is mix 1 tablespoon of sugar, custard powder and a tiny amount of milk to mix it into a smooth paste. Add into milk and simmer while stirring constantly.

Add your essence and scrape off half a pod of vanilla and mix well. Add 1 more tablespoon of sugar if your sauce is not sweet enough or add more milk of the sauce is too thick. Remember the sauce will thicken when cool. 




5 comments:

chewthosenails said...

Hi narny!
I tried this recipe and i swear ITS PROBABLY THE NICEST BREAD & BUTTER PUDDING IVE EVER TASTEDD!!! im so happy i chanced upon your blog and now that ive tried one of your recipes, foshure ill be using some in the near future. thank you so much for sharing all the recipes! i really appreciate it!!! keep on doing what you're doing ya :)
much love from sg!

narny said...

Hi http://www.blogger.com/profile/03537275429513636150

I dunno why I've only just seen your message but thank u so much for the encouraging words!! Glad the recipe worked out great for u!

Unknown said...

Hi dear..
Your recipe is heavenly heaven. That's all I can say

Narny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Narny said...

Thank you so much 🥰🥰

Pin It