About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Homemade Croissants (Danish Pastry)


Actually making these soft croissants are as simple as making bread rolls . Gotta try and refresh my skills as its been 17 years since I've actually made croissants! (The convenience of buying 5 pieces for $2.40 does that).

Now that I'm moving to Jakarta and getting a croissant means I have to grab a cab and end up spending more than I should has motivate me to start making my own stuff again. For convenience sake ...

1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup warm milk
1 tablespoon yeast (7g)
1 tsp sugar

In a jug, add the yeast to warm milk, sugar and water and let it bubble up for 5-10 minutes.

2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar

1 egg

220g butter (cut into small cubed pieces)

Egg wash (1 egg with 2 tablespoon milk)

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and then add egg and yeast mixture. Pour all the butter in and use 2 spatulas to combine the ingredients together. DO NOT OVERMIX. You still want lots of chunky butter in the dough.

Refrigerate overnight or a minimum of 2 hours for the dough to rest.

Cut the dough into 2equal portion. This recipe is good of 16 croissants so its better to work with half a dough at each time so that the butter stays nice and chunky.

Roll out into a floured surface and then fold into thirds like you would fold a letter. Roll out again and fold into thirds. Do this about 5 times. This creates the lovely layers in the croissants. Making sure that you dust the dough with flour each time.

Finally roll into a big square / rectangle and divide into 8 triangles . Roll from the longer length to the pointy tip. Glaze with egg wash and let it rise for 30 minutes before baking for another 30 minutes at 170 degrees oven.

I did a mixture of plain and ham with cheese and smoked salmon croissants. You could do chocolate au pain or cream cheese with these Danish pastry if you want too!













No comments:

Pin It