About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Monday, April 15, 2013

Browned Butter Glazed Doughnuts


Ok these are seriously good.... SO GOOD that I just wanna lick my screen....okay....so good that I´ll consider to stop buying  KK ever again.

All you need is some basic doughnut recipe as follows:-

1 sachet instant yeast (11g)
1/4 cup water (lukewarm)
3/4 cup warm milk (pop in the microwave for a bit)

Stir yeast in the milk / water mixture and let it bubble up for about 5 minutes

1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
40g shortening (slightly less than 1/4 cup)
2 1/2 cups flour (pour only 2 cups first)

Add the above ingredients in and beat with a paddle attachement until well mixed. If dough is still sticky, add in the extra 1/2 cup flour. Change to hook attachment and knead for about 3 minutes on medium scraping the sides every now and then. Remove from mixer and let dough rest until doubled the amount. It was a warm day today so it doubled around 45 minutes.

Roll the dough on a well floured surface and cut into circles with a round cutter. Use the smallest cutter to cut the holes in the middle. Arrange cut dough on a floured tray and let rise for another 10 minutes. Heat oil and fry the doughnuts until golden.

You need to glaze the doughnuts while its still warm to get that glazy look. So prepare the glaze while waiting for the doughnuts to rise.

Browned Butter Glaze

4 tablespoons butter
1 cup icing sugar
4 tablespoons cream

Sounds simple ? Well all you do is melt the butter in the pan until its really browned. Yes I was scared shitless at ruining my good butter too but heck... its meant to be that way. You will see all these yucky looking sediment in the melted butter. Pour the butter slowly in a bowl so that the sediment does not follow or you can use a strainer. Add the icing sugar and continue to add the cream until you get a nice creamy texture. Remember... multitask and start glazing your doughnuts while its still warm!!


After that be patient and let it sit for a while to ¨set¨.... honesty in our weather its almost impossible to get that crunchy crust unless you live in a completely air conditioned home... Just be happy it looks and taste great!

No comments:

Pin It